Can I Myself Build up Website? How and How Many Ways?
Yes, you can. You can build up website of your own even without help of any web developer or paying no dollar even if you have-
-little knowledge of web development
–no know-how in Web language
-zero experience in Coding
There are numerous ways/tricks/tools/platforms to start a website from. As there are unlimited probability of building and run a website all free of cost, so are there limitless platforms to build, run and manage a site on payment.
And there are situation where you might willingly choose to expend dollar for your site rather than pick a free service.
How and from where you’re going to start a website largely depends on-
- Your purpose of building website
- Website’s size
- Website’s type
- Your paying capability
But first of all, you need to have a simple understanding of the basic elements of a website and how all these elements collectively make a website live. Next step, we’re going to simplify all the elements one by one.
Basic elements to build up a website
- A Domain account by purchasing a Domain Name
- A Hosting account by renting hosting server
- Your Website written on Web language
Now let’s clarify-
Domain Name is the identity of your site. It is your site’s unique address by which any user from any device around the world can access your site through Web Browser. You can purchase a Domain from a globally recognized Domain Registrar like Namecheap, GoDaddy or so. Alternatively, Buy a Domain from a Domain-reseller in your region. All the Domain Registrars are accredited and managed by a single authority called ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). And all the Domain Names are put in action through a unified Network composed of different layers of Nameservers.
Once your site is ready to be displayed online, its files need to be hosted to a Web Server (actually a computer) connected to the Internet so that any user (person/device/browser) connected to the same network can anytime access your site that is stored in that Server. You can purchase a Hosting account (a hosting package) from a globally renowned Hosting provider like Bluehost, Dreamhost etc. or from a Hosting Reseller in your region as per your necessity.
Your website is nothing but a Folder composed of a set of files. But are those files like Document Files that we produce by using word processor like MS Word? Surely not. MS Word file is not sharable as a web page due to barriers of device variety, their varied models, manufacturers, operating systems and many other complicated factors. So a common language for writing web page had been introduced (by Berners-Lee in 1989) which is called HTML (Hypertext Markup Language).
Over the history of website, many web languages evolved to perform different tasks in building website. So prepare your website with basic web language HTML, style it with CSS, Structure and program it with PHP, MySQL, JAVA etc. In this regard, check out our following tutorial for details on how website works –
Probable ways to build your website
Now that you have a rough understanding of how a website comes to live, It is time you chose the desired way to build your own site.
You can take up one the three models to start a website as per your necessity, purpose, capability and other factors–
- All-free: All are free- Domain, Hosting and Web structure. No pay, no Coding skill required. If you’re prompt enough, you can also develop your site yourself. In this case you’ll own limited control over your site.
- Self-hosted: Use free CMS Website or Blogging structure. But you need to pay for Domain and Hosting which will ensure your site’s ownership. In this case, you won’t get 100% flexibility to shape your site own way.
- All-paid: All are paid. Buy Domain and Hosting. Prepare website structure yourself (if you’ve expertise in Web language and Coding). Alternatively hire a Developer to do that task on behalf of you. In all-paid standard, you, reasonably, own supreme authority over your site and can shape and form site as you wish.
Let’s go in detail-
1. Popular All-free platform to build your site
We started this article with assurance that you also can build your site without any skill in web language, even free of cost. Yes, you can do this by using free different Blogging or Site building platforms. There are many such free platforms offering free website building system and tools which are technologically known as CMS (Content Management System). [Learn more on CMS here]
Some of such globally-leading free CMS platforms are-
We’re going to highlight some of them next step.
Now, what are the advantages of using these website builder to build my site?
The focused advantages are-
- You needn’t buy Domain. Your site URL will be a subdomain of that Site. Suppose you’re going to use Blogger platform. Your site address will be subdomain of blogspot.com. In other word, it will be named yoursite.blogspot.com. [Learn more on URL here]
- You needn’t pay for Hosting. Unlimited disc space and Bandwidth are free. This means you can store as many contents (files) as you need in their server.
- Site structure is built-in. You only need an account. On completion of Sign-up process, do sign-in and you’ll get a brand new site waiting for you for numerous customization to build it as your own. Theme, header, site name, logo, footer, sidebar, Menu, content all can be changed as you like just by clicking or using drag-and-drop method.
When we get something free, we don’t like to raise any question about the freeware. But you should in this case. Why is this free? How much of this can I use free of charge? These types of question certainly increase your knowledge which will lead you to the completeness beyond the world of freeness.
When you, as a newbie, enter a free platform of blogging, it will seem to you that everything is there. What other things can be necessary beyond all these features. So did seem to me at the initial stage of my blogging with Blogger platform.
I thought here are hundreds of features and functions which, probably, I won’t be able to run and manage completely all-through my life. Then why people tell this is a limited platform? I explored the answer for years and finally discovered that, in the unlimited sea of site-building, this type of free platform is a separate pond where all are complete and sufficient for a frog living inside.
Probably you’re laughing! Trust me. I don’t want to frustrate you. You must have a stage of development, when must take up a pond as your own sea. If you ever meet with the real sea, you’re likely to drown!
However let’s look at a glance what are the limitations you’ll face working with free site-building platforms–
- Free platforms are especially designed as a Blogging platform. You cannot use it to build up any type of site or use it for any purpose. [see, What is Blogging?]
- Your Domain is a subdomain which neither is an honorable site identity nor can be established as a brand name.
- Using a free platform, you cannot claim (100%) that the site is yours. Your site may any time be deleted for policy violation.
- There is limited scope to use theme and plugin. If you want to add third-party functionalities, you have to upgrade your account to paid plan.
- There is limited or no scope for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) functionalities. and much more.
Yet free platform is applicable for you if you find yourself in the following situations-
- You’re going to learn blogging or site-building.
- Your site is for non-commercial purpose.
- Blogging is not your profession but a part-time job and you’re happy with whatever you earn
However, which free website builder platform would you choose?
For your deeper understanding, we’re going to focus on the most influential free-hosted platforms Blogger and WordPress.
You can start your free site building campaign with Blogger. This is a Google product. If you have a Google ID, you can start using Blogger to build your site for blogging and create as many blogs as you wish free of cost. To start Blogger journey, follow this link.
Google is always strict to their program policy. If you violate Blogger Program Policy, you must get banned. So from the very beginning you should have a proper know-how of Blogger. There are huge documentation source to help you all-through your way. There is no way to communicate individually in Blogger case with Google.
Beyond these, the key features of Blogger are as follow-
- Your site address will look like yoursitename.blogspot.com.
- There are many templates provided by Blogger you can choose from but there is no scope to use third party theme.
- You can choose to use Widgets provided by Blogger and also third party Widgets that are listed in Widget screen.
- You can easily backup by downloading your Template (theme) and website and upload them when necessary.
- You don’t like to use blogspot.com subdomain, you can use your own domain.
- Blogger is more Search Engine optimized than any other free platforms.
You can choose to use wordpress.com platform to build your site. This is a product of Automattic, which is an organization established by a number of WordPress code developers. Start to build your blog-site by using WordPress.com on creating an account from this link.
Advantage of using numerous third-party themes and plugins is the soul of WordPress which has made WordPress the no. 1 CMS in the globe. But this option is available if you work with self-hosted WordPress platform. However, we’re going to clarify this next step. In free wordpress.com platform you can use a few themes and plugin provided.
Here are the important features of wordpress.com-
- Your site address will look like yoursitename.wordpress.com
- Under free account, you can use a few themes and plugins. If you like to use third-party themes and plugins, you have to upgrade account to paid plan.
- Free account doesn’t allow you to use own domain. To do this, you require to upgrade account to pro.
- Exactly the same core structure but limited features than self-hosted platform.
- Not SEO-friendly.
2. Free CMS-based Self-hosted platform
You already know what self-hosted platform is. This can also be named self-controlled platform. You’ll collect a pre-built, ready-made CMS site-structure and make it live on your own Domain and Hosting. In this way, you can restructure your site all the possible ways the site-structure allows.
Two of such platforms, I can suggest, are WordPress and Joomla. You can download WordPress project files from WordPress.org and Joomla project files from Joomla.org. Among the two WordPress is the most popular, reliable, influential, flexible and resourceful. Other than blog-site, you can create any probable type of website by using WordPress core structure.
Contextually, previously we discussed on WordPress.com. Many people confuse the two terms WordPress.com and WordPress.org. As a WordPress user, It is essential to get clarified with the relationship and differences between them. Just follow this link-
When WordPress project is downloaded; how can you make it live in connection with Domain and Hosting. In this regard we’ve a handy tutorial. Just follow-
But to go through the complete process of starting with WordPress, hit this link-
Self-hosted WordPress might be the best option for any user to create any kinds of commercial, for-profit or money-making website. Moreover, if you want your blog/site be future career-builder then start with self-hosted model from the very beginning.
3. Organization or Business-standard All-paid model
This model involves creating an independent website by using web and programming languages and making it live on own Domain and Hosting. No model or prebuilt structure is used or followed to make this kind of site. You can create such website by yourself or get it done by a paid developer.
Such site is designed keeping in mind the sole necessity of an individual or organization.
We see thousands of designers and developer around the world are engaged in site-building service to help build website for the clients by using both physical and virtual workplace.
This free-structured self-built website may be essential-
- for Government or Non-government organization.
- for educational institute, Bank, Insurance and other offices.
- to create a customized dynamic webpage for any purpose.
- to avoid security threat.
- To run a big business organization or Enterprise.
Hope this presentation on ‘building website various ways‘ had added a slight light to your web-building knowledge. If you, by this tutorial, get yourself equipped with a new hope and aspiration along the way to site-building expedition, reveal yourself by comment.