How to Add Google Analytics to Blogger Blog
There are many Analytics tools like AWStats, ShinyStat, SiteMeter, StatCounter and so on, well-acquainted to the website owners or bloggers. They are being used as inevitable equipment to handle visitors’ tracking activities.
But as a free tool, I think, there is no alternative to Google Analytics which deserves standing out as the first option for all types of websites. Setting up a Google Analytics account is easy and more simple is to connect it with a website to make it Report-trackable.
Here we’re going to focus on the process of adding Google Analytics to Blogger blog that will come to use to a great extent especially, for the beginners.
Pre-words to adding Google Analytics to Blogger blog
There are multiple ways to connecting a site with Google Analytics. The common theory is that—
- You sign in to Google Analytics with your Google ID
- Setting up an Analytics Account and defining a Property (your site/blog) under that account
- Collect Tracking ID and Tracking Code of that Property.
- Put that Tracking Code between <head> and </head> tag in every page of your site
But this theory goes in context of those sites that are built based on basic language and have separate html file for each page.
Then, what about the others— different blogs, framed sites and CMS (Content Management) based sites. Google says, in each case there might have a special module to insert Tracking ID or Tracking Code. So are there. In WordPress, the World’s most popular CMS, you can insert that ID or Code by editing Theme’s html file or by installing a related plugin.
If you are interested to enjoy knowing how to integrate Google Analytics with WordPress easiest way; follow this link.
Blogger’s blog structure has also built-in module to add Tracking ID to connect it with Google Analytics.
Many bloggers stepping into the world of site-building starts blogging standing on BLOGGER platform Powered by Google. They are hardly aware that blogspot.com site can also be added to Analytics that opens before them a new horizon of probability to track visitors’ activities and behavior with unimaginable control over target-setting and analytical function free of cost.
This tutorial is for those BLOGGER bloggers and here are the easiest processes to materialize that.
Stop at Google Station for a while
To add Google Analytics to Blogger blog, As we mentioned earlier, you first need Google Analytics account and its subordinate Property setting to collect Tracking Code and Tracking ID. For that, you have to go through following steps—
- Sign in to Google Analytics by using your Google Account information (Username, Password)
- On Analytics Dashboard, click Admin (left below)
- On Admin Panel, select Admin tab and click Create New button beside Account name (first column, upmost option). Provide your Account Name and other information and complete the process.
- Now your account is created and it will show in your Account Name list (checkable by clicking the down arrow). Now Select your account and go to Property (Second column). Click Create New under Property (upmost option). Provide your blog’s or website’s name and URL and complete the process.
Contextually, if you like to get clarified of all about Google Analytics account, Property and View setting with soothing picturesque presentation, read up the following article first—
- Now that you’ve an Account and Property, select the Property under that Account (second column)
- Click Menu .js Tracking Info.
- Click Sub-menu Tracking Code
You will be sent to a page containing your Tracking ID above and Tracking Code is located under ‘Global Site Tag’ option below ID. Copy from here when you need.
Two ways to adding Tracking ID/Code of Google Analytics to Blogger
Now it is time to insert the Code and ID in the relevant field of your Site. You can do this two ways—
- Through Setting page
- By changing html of Blogger theme
In this process, you need only to insert the Tracking ID in the relevant part of Setting page. Follow the steps below—
- Log in to Blogger Dashboard
- Select your site by clicking down arrow from upper left corner
- Click Setting→Other
- Find Google Analytics (below the option list)
- Input your Tracking ID in the field next to Analytics Web Property ID.
- Save Settings
- You’re done
DONT FORGET; in your Tracking Code script contains a text indicating your Tracking ID. If your Tracking ID is not there, replace the text with your own.
Now, Follow the steps below—
- Log in to your Blogger Dashboard
- Select relevant site by clicking down arrow from upper left corner
- Click Theme from Admin Panel left
- From this page, get your blog theme backed up as cautionary measure by clicking Backup/Restore button on upper right.
- Click Edit HTML
- Now from HTML file, find the <head> tag
- Paste your Tracking Code just below <head>
- Click Save Theme
- And you’re done
Now your site has got connected with Google Analytics and GA is ready to track your visitors’ activities in your site. It may take 24 to 48 hours to start this functioning and showing reports.
That’s all. Hope this step-by-step tutorial has clarified everything to connect Google Analytics to Blogger Blog without facing any hassle. Feel free to bring out any problem or share any experience.